St. Matthew’s is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). The Wisconsin Synod began in 1850 when three German pastors joined in a common fellowship in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Described as theologically conservative, WELS is the third largest Lutheran church body in America with 1,278 churches; 380,728 baptized members; and 300,665 communicant members.
WELS maintains Martin Luther College in New Ulm, Minn., Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Mequon, Wis., and two preparatory high schools: Luther Preparatory School in Watertown, Wis., and Michigan Lutheran Seminary in Saginaw, Mich., for the education of our pastors, teachers, and staff ministers.
WELS congregations—either individually or as federations—operate one of the largest Lutheran school systems in the country with 316 Lutheran elementary schools; 403 early childhood ministries; 23 area Lutheran high schools; and Wisconsin Lutheran College, Milwaukee, Wis. Its headquarters is located in Waukesha, Wisconsin.